Cogmed Training Improves Working Memory, Focus and Attention
A recent addition to Dr. Hentoff’s Natick, MassachusettsÂ practice is the Cogmed Training Program.
A growing body of research has shown that it is possible to improve working memory, focus and attention through the use of computer-based cognitive training programs.
Cogmed is the only computer-based cognitive training program developed for children, adolescents and adults that has a substantial body of research that supports its use for strengthening working memory, attention and focus.
Clinical research has shown that use of the Cogmed Working Memory Training results in:
- Better ability to concentrate
- Increased impulse control
- Improved ability to sustain attention and focus when performing school related and mentally demanding tasks
The program itself consists of a series of engaging tasks geared towards the strengthening of both auditory and visual working memory.
Working Memory is a Key Function Necessary for Critical Cognitive Tasks
Working Memory is a cognitive function that involves the ability to hold in mind and
Working memory allows us to:
- Remember instructions about what to do next (i/e keeping driving directions or steps of a recipe in mind while following through)
- Keep all parts of a number and the sequence of steps required in your memory in order to complete a math problem
- Focus on the task at hand, without being distracted by whatâ€™s going on around you
- Plan, organize and structure your daily life
Deficits in working memory are often experienced as attention problems or memory problems.
Cogmed has been successfully used to improve working memory capacity, attention and focus with:
- Children, adolescents and adults diagnosed with ADHD
- Individuals following a stroke or traumatic brain injury
- Those experiencing the effects of normal aging
The program has three forms:
- Cogmed JM for preschoolers and developmentally younger children
- Cogmed RM for children and adolescents
- Cogmed QM for adults
Cogmed Training is not a â€œgameâ€ but a specifically designed program that:
- Is completed at home under the supervision of a training aide
- Consists of 25 sessions that are completed in 30 to 45 minutes, 5 days a week for 5 weeks
- Includes weekly telephone coaching sessions
What to Expect in Cogmed Training
The program itself consists of a series of engaging exercises aimed towards the strengthening of both auditory and visual working memory. Levels become progressively more challenging as the training proceed, with difficulty level adjusted automatically for maximum training effect. The program also allows users to track their progress over the five weeks training program through a training statistics summary graph.
The complete program includes:
- Initial interview
- Start up session
- Five weeks of training with weekly phone check ins
- Wrap up meeting
- Six month follow-up interview
- Cogmed extension training (12 months) for no additional cost
80% of users who have completed the full training program notice results 3-4 weeks after they have finished the online program, including improved concentration and the ability to remember instructions. Improvement in reading comprehension and improved math abilities are also examples of training effects. Training effects evolve gradually over time, and research has shown continued long term improvement in function after a year.
To learn more about the Cogmed Training Program and the research supporting its effectivness, please visit their website at www.cogmed.com